Karina Gould
Hon. Karina Gould
Member of Parliament for Burlington
2024 Community Volunteer Income Tax Program
February 16, 2024

I am pleased to offer my 9th annual Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) for residents of Burlington, Ontario with modest income.

This year my office will be running our CVITP in the Burlington Centre on Tuesdays from 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. and Thursdays from 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. beginning on March 5th through to April 30th. Our CVITP office will be located next to the Guest Services kiosk on the first floor.

To be eligible for this year’s free tax clinic you must have a modest income and a simple tax situation. A modest income is considered $40,000 in annual income for one person, and no more than $50,000 per couple.

Simple Tax Situation
In general, a tax situation is simple if an individual has no income or if their income comes from these sources:

Your tax situation is not simple if you:

What to Bring

If you are eligible to take part in a CVITP, make sure to bring:

1. Proof of identity:
• You must bring a valid piece of identification with you. It should be government issued and include a photo.
Example: A provincial or territorial driver’s license, a Canadian or foreign passport, etc.

2. Personal information including:
• Your Social Insurance Number (SIN), mailing address, marital status, your children’s date of birth (if applicable).
• If you filed an income tax return for the previous year and have your notice of assessment, it would be helpful to
the volunteer if you bring it with you to the clinic.
• If you have a common-law partner or spouse and you want to file your return individually, you need to have his/
her Social Insurance Number, net income information and dependents if applicable.

3. Information Slips, which might include:
• T4 (Statement of Remuneration Paid) - provided by your employer
• T4E (Statement of Employment Insurance Earnings) – provided by Service Canada
• T4A (Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income) – Issuer: Source of payment (i.e. school
• issuing scholarship)
• T5007 (Worker’s Compensation/Social Assistance) – provided by Provincial Worker’s Comp. or Social Assistance
• T4RSP (Statement of RRSP Income) – provided by your financial institution

4. Reporting world income:
• You must report income from all sources both inside and outside Canada including any world income earned
after becoming a resident of Canada for income tax purposes.
• You must bring the amount of foreign sourced income earned when you were not a resident of Canada. This will
be used to calculate some non-refundable tax credits. (For newcomers only)

5. Receipts including:
• Rent/Property Tax: Whether you rent or own your primary residence you should bring the corresponding
receipts of payment for the current tax year.
• Medical expenses: Taxpayers can claim amounts paid for eligible medical expenses which have not been or will
not be reimbursed. You can request a receipt at the end of the year with the total amount paid for your prescription drugs/ Dental fees at your pharmacy/ dentist.
• Donations: If you or your spouse or common-law partner donated money or other property to certain institutions, you may be able to claim a federal and provincial or territorial non-refundable tax credit when you file your
• Amount paid for child care expenses: You can claim child care expenses that include (Caregivers providing child
care services, day nursery schools or daycare centres, etc.).
• Note: The individual or organization who received the payments must give you a receipt showing information
about the services provided.


The Burlington Central Library will be holding their in person CVITP from March 4th until April 29 on Mondays from 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

If you have any questions, please contact our office at 9056395757. 

Constituency Office
Burlington Centre - Suite 209 (777 Guelph Line)
Burlington, Ontario
L7R 3N2


Show Map
Office Hours
Mon: 9:30 am to 4:30 pm (By Appointment Only)
Tue: 9:30 am to 4:30 pm (By Appointment Only)
Wed: 9:30 am to 4:30 pm (By Appointment Only)
Thu: 9:30 am to 4:30 pm (By Appointment Only)
Fri: 9:30 am to 4:30 pm (By Appointment Only)
Sat: Closed
Sun: Closed

Hill Office
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6


Show Map